Ugadi (Gudipadwa in Maharashtra, Bihu in Assam, Kolla Versham in Kerala, Baisakhi in Punjab) marks the beginning of a new age. It is marked by eating a dish with six tastes (Bevu-Bella in Kannada), symbolizing the fact that life is a mixture of different experiences, which should be accepted with equanimity.
- Jaggery and ripe banana pieces for sweetness, signifying happiness
- Neem Buds/Flowers for its bitterness, signifying sadness
- Salt for saltiness, signifying fear
- Green Chilli/Pepper for its hot taste, signifying anger
- Tamarind Juice for its sourness, signifying disgust
- Unripened Mango for its tang, signifying surprise
As we stand on the threshold of a (S)milestone, a new financial year, let us look back on the year gone by with gratitude and look forward to the year ahead with enthusiasm, confidence and hope.
Happy Ugadi to you and your families.